Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Toddlers and Tiaras: Oy...

Holly has been getting me to watch a lot of TLC lately. Usually, it happens later on at night, after I get my baseball and Sportscenter fix. I'll admit, there are some shows I've come to like. Holly's personal favorite is "What Not To Wear", which I will never need to be on because all I wear are white shirts, ties, and dark pants. Yep. That sums my wardrobe up pretty nicely.

Holly has been eagerly awaiting one show in particluar, which we are watching as I type.

Toddlers and Tiaras.

Even though our baby is still currently in Holly's body, we are already better parents than some of the people on this show. I know that every parent believes their child is the absolute cutest; I'm sure we will be that way when the day comes. Exploiting that beauty as these parents do, though, is brutal.

Hilarious, but brutal.

Take Eden from Arkansas. Her mother has invested "$65,000 to $70,000" in pageantry for her. To keep Eden from getting fussy in the dressing room, her mother uses her hands as puppets, "Bobby Sue" and "Billy Bob". Eden proudly proclaims that they are her "best friends".

For me, the lowlight was the mother with twin daughters, AshLynn and BreeAnne (correctly spelled, despite what you may think), who constantly pits them against each other. If that wasn't enough, she openly acknowledges that BreeAnne is the more polished and professional one. EVEN IN FRONT OF ASHLYNN!!!!

Maybe I could have tolerated this whole thing if the show wasn't set in one of my favorite places: Austin. The fact that the name of our dear mission has been besmirched by such obsessive pageant moms is almost more than I can bear.

Long story short: if you want a show that helps boost your parent-esteem, take a look at Toddlers and Tiaras.

I will now step off the soapbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment