Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back To School, Back to School to Prove to Holly that I'm Not a Fool

I am T-minus two weeks away from being knee-deep in BYU-ness once again. This will be my first semester as a married man, so it will be very interesting to see how I adjust to a 14 credit hours, 20 work hours, and a pregnant wife.

Yeesh! That's what's on my plate? Hoo, boy... At least I don't have to start on Thursday like my sister, Ashley. (Neener, neener, Stomper!)

Here's the classes I'll be delving into, beginning August 31st:

COMMS 300-Media Ethics, Law and Responsibilities
Professor: Derek Brown
Time: Wednesday, 4-6:30 PM

I get to learn about the things I can and can't do as a journalist! I experimented with a once-a-week class last Fall, and it worked out better than I thought. It is a long time to sit and take things in, but it IS nice to know that once that time is up, you don't have to go back for a week. This will be the end of a very LONG day on campus: I start at 9:30 AM on Wednesday and end with this class at 6:30 with a one-hour break between 1 and 2.

COMMS 308-Research Methods for Journalism
Professor: Joel Campbell
Time: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 2-3 PM

Let's see...Google, Wikipedia, what else do I need? Oh, right...

COMMS 321-News Reporting
Professor: Ed Carter
Time: Lecture=Monday and Wednesday, 2-3 PM. Lab/Writing=3-4 PM Daily

Professor Carter is the one who called to tell me my application was not a lost cause. He is the reason I am in this major. Anyway, this will be my opportunity to write for The Daily Universe!

COMMS 351-Media and Their Audiences
Professor: Jared Johnson
Time: Monday and Wednesday, 9:30-10:45 AM

I hear (according to RateMyProfessors.com) that part of this class consists of watching episodes of Gilligan's Island and The Office. Ka-ching!

REL C 234-LDS Marriage and Family
Professor: John Livingstone
Time: Monday and Wednesday, 12-1 PM

Let's see...I'm LDS, I'm married, and I am in the process of starting a family. This class is right up my alley!

That wraps it up! I am sure many posts will revolve around these classes, so you will surely be updated as the semester rolls on.

No comments:

Post a Comment